Junior Consultant Geographic Information System
DATORE: World Food Programme (WFP) - LUOGO: Italy (Rome) - SCADENZA BANDO: 29 Jul 2015
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are currently seeking to fill the position of Junior Geographic Information System Consultant, which will be based in the Emergency Preparedness Branch (OSEP) at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy. The selected candidate will be offered an international consultancy contract for a period of 11 months.
The Emergency Preparedness and Support Response Division (OSE) is responsible for enhancing WFP’s preparedness and response capacity in emergencies, including early warning, preparedness planning, crisis support and information management.
OSE provides strategic and normative guidance, technical support and capacity building to field offices and Regional Bureaux (RB), to other HQ units, as well as inter-agency coordination. In recent years, OSE has undertaken an important collaboration with the Programme division, aiming at providing multivariate hazard analysis information overlaid with causal factors related to risks, and trends of shocks in a number of countries where WFP operates. This has contributed to significant progress in designing programme response and to building the case for WFP food assistance while building resilience tailor-made to areas affected by recurrent crises.
The Geographical Information System (GIS) Unit within OSE is continuously gathering data and updating georeferenced information to ensure that WFP is ready to create detailed cartography as well as spatial analyses of the areas of interest in order to support humanitarian emergency response.
Reporting to the Leader of Analysis Section, the Junior Consultant will be responsible for the following key duties:
- Provide support to Programme: Elaborate Risk Analysis, Multi-Variate analyses based on Natural Hazards and Food Security data, watershed and environmental analysis;
- Provide capacity building and input into guidance notes related to GIS analysis;
- Work in close collaboration with the SpaRC (Spatial Risk Calendar) team to guide data preparation and development of outputs in line with the ICA requirements;
- Strengthen the link between Early Warning and GIS by guiding the EW team in making the best use of the GIS products available through the SpaRC platform;
- Engage with Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping Unit (VAM) to obtain more analytical products for supporting the Emergency Preparedness and Response phases;
- Support the development of a joint OSZPR/OSE/VAM/OSZIR Integrated Context Analysis publication;
- Perform missions to support COs/RBs when required: The Integrated Context Analysis team will support the field if required with analytical products (i.e. Risk analysis, Integrated Context Analysis, Disaster Preparedness Analysis, Watershed/Environmental Analysis etc.);
- Support the other GIS team members by creating new maps or updating existing products;
- Maintain spatial databases with focus on Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI);
- Create/Update Web GIS maps using WFP Dynamic mapping system (GeoNode);
- Assist in the preparation of material for trainings, workshops and conferences;
- Networking among the academic environment and WFP humanitarian activities with regards to the GIS methodologies and datasets relevant for risk analyses (i.e. ICA, epr etc.); and perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required
University degree in Computer Science or related studies.
At least 1 year of professional experience in developing workflows, systems and tools related to Geographic Information System.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Knowledge of main GIS softwares: ArcGIS, QGIS and other OpenSource softwares knowledge is an asset;
- Strong knowledge of Spatial Analysis techniques;
- Advanced GIS mapping and data management skills;
- Familiarity with spatial databases;
- GIS Development skills: Knowledge of ArcPy for GIS workflow automation;
- Strong ability with MS Word and Excel.
- Courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing;
- Good analytical and conceptual skills;
- Ability to work both with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Fluency in both oral and written English;
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of French, Spanish or Arabic is an advantage.
How to apply
Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/15-0017976
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
Note: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Effettua il login per aggiungere un commento.