5TH World Water Forum
High Level Panel at Water Forum calls for “Six Urgent Imperatives”
The 5th World Water Forum took place in Istanbul, Turkey from 16 to 22 March and proposed, inter alia, an action plan to reduce water related disaster risks. “Water is life but the excess or absence of water is also a threat to life, warned Han Seung-soo, Prime Minister of the Republic of Korea. Presented by 21 experts from the World Water Council, the UN International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR), the Japan Water Forum and the Korea Water Forum, the plan highlights six urgent imperatives as concrete steps to reduce water-related disaster risks:
1. Galvanize and mobilize before disaster strikes;
2. Prioritize systems to forecast, inform, alert and evacuate;
3. Incorporate disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation as integral to
4. Improve disaster response;
5. Provide safe water and toilets quickly when disaster/conflict strikes; and
6. Implement special crosscutting initiatives, for instance, establishing a Large Delta
Among participants of the high level panel session were the Crown Prince of Japan; The Prince of Orange, Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands; Han Seung-soo, Prime Minister of the Republic of Korea; and UN Assistant Secretary-General, Margareta Wahlstrom. UNISDR will now coordinate follow up of the action plan with related institutions and experts closely linked with the UNISDR system.
For more information about the event consult: Reid Basher, UNISDR email@example.com
Effettua il login per aggiungere un commento.